Monday, May 7, 2007

A Whale's Vagina 4, ATLANTA 2

Game Notes...

- First, it was confirmed on the post-game show that Anthony Lerew will get the start tomorrow. He is 1-0 in five starts with a 1.37 ERA and in his last two games, he has thrown 13.2 innings without allowing an earned run. Lerew just doesn't impress me too much, but who can impress me less than Mark Redman? Oh, yeah, I did a column about that.

- I have never been a fan of Chuck James. I mean, it is all fun when we make Chuck Norris-themed comments about how awesome Chuckie could be, but when you watch him, you see a guy you never really look at if you are looking for a consistent pitcher. James gets by on guts and guile, but he has no out pitch. The Padres have a veteran lineup, especially the top of the lineup (which counted for most of the production). Match the two and you get a very touch game for James. I really don't see James as a long-term option in the rotation and probably never will. Stuff kills. Not having stuff will kill you.

- Chris Woodward had two hits (including a gift triple) and Willie Harris had a hit. Kelly Johnson, Chipper Jones, Andruw Jones, Brian McCann, Jeff Francoeur, and Scott Thorman...no hits, a walk, and a HBP. Ick.

- Peter Moylan may be my favorite pitcher other than Rafael Soriano in that bullpen. Apparently, Moylan is Australian for gooooood.

- Think Texas wishes they had Chris Young back? I know I do.

- Finally, the worst part of having J-Salt on the bench is that you do not even use him. Someone suggested that the Braves should deal Brayan Pena and put J-Salt on the bench. You do not use your backup catcher as a pinch hitter unless you have to. As such, you're wasting a good bat.

No comments: