Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Don't Call It a Comeback

Hey...I'm back.

Sorta. I don't really know how much I'll post during the week, but I figure the weekend should give me ample opportunity to post.

Today is my birthday and for my present, I get the Braves and the Mets. I figure it's time for a little background on this most important of all days for you, me, and every Corkscrew Swing reader who is glad to see my ramblings return. Today's game is the first time in my life that the Braves and Mets have ever faced off on my birthday. Here is the seven most recent games on my birthday.

2006 - Phillies 9, Braves 6
...What the hell was Bobby Cox doing starting Horacio Effin Ramirez on my birthday? Of course, also not in the lineup was Chipper Jones (probably broke a nail) and the pinch hitters used in the game were Pete Orr and Tony Pena. Cox didn't give this day a chance of ending positive.

2005 - Cardinals 5, Braves 3
...This one hurts the most. Up 3-2 on a ninth inning RBI double by Jeff Francoeur, Chris Reitsma proceeds to load the bases on three singles before David Eckstein steps in. Eckstein, who is all of 2'6" in heels, takes Reitsma deep for Reitsma's fifth blown save of the year and a highly depressing birthday.

2004 - Braves 6, Diamondbacks 2
...Paul Byrd posts one of his few quality starts of his second stint as a Brave and the Braves score three in the third and ninth to cruise to their 62nd win over the absolutely horrible D'Backs.

2003 - Braves 7, Brewers 1
...The biggest dog the Braves have had in years actually tosses a complete game five-hitter. Mike Hampton even added a two-run double and Vinny Castilla homered and...tripled? Weirdass game.

2002 - Diamondbacks 6, Braves 3
...Just so you know, the Braves bullpen's troubles weren't limited to just 2005-06. A 1-1 game in the seventh ends with five runs allowed by the wonderful pen of 2002 that included Chris Hammond, Mike Remlinger, and Darren Holmes. Oh, and Tim Spooneybarger sucked it up, allowing a two-run bomb to Rod Barajas of all people. Chipper Jones had a two-run shot for the Braves, but surprisingly, they couldn't win a game in which Wes Helms, Keith Lockhart, and Henry Blanco all started.

2001 - Braves 6, Astros 5
...Greg Maddux improved to 15-6 despite looking pretty shitty. Brian Jordan and Marcus Giles each helped out with homers and the Braves were quite efficient, turning six hits and five walks into six runs.

2000 - Reds 3, Braves 2 (10 innings)
...I remember this game if only because my mother is a Reds fan. Greg Maddux started for the first of three straight years on the holy day and tossed 7.1 scoreless innings, but a Chipper Jones error led to two unearned runs off John Rocker in the ninth and Kerry Ligtenberg lost it in the tenth.

1999 - Braves 15, Giants 4
...I hate Russ Ortiz. Hated him as a Brave, hated him otherwise. So imagine my happiness to see the Braves crush him to the tune of 9 runs in a 15-4 rout. Gerald Williams and Brian Jordan each homered in the sixth after Ortiz left and Ryan Klesko added three ribbies.

Overall, the Braves are 12-11 on my birthday. They lost a double header in 1990, received their only official off-day for my birthday in 1986, and in 1985, they were rained out. Tom Glavine and Greg Maddux have he most wins on my birthday with two.

Today's starter Buddy Carlyle has never worked the holy day, but neither has Oliver Perez so what happens is completely unknown.

I'll call it, though. KJ homers off Billy Wagner to break a 4-4 tie in the ninth. Wickmoo has a scary ninth, but the Braves win.

Possible?

No comments: