Saturday, October 13, 2007

Cody Johnson Tidbit

Last year's number one pick, Cody Johnson, was selected as minorleaguebaseball.com's Short-Season Offensive Player of the Year Award. Not much from me, but check out some of the excerpts from the MiLB.com article.
The 20-year-old outfielder batted .305 while leading the Appalachian League in home runs (17), total bases (153), extra-base hits (40) and slugging percentage (.630). He also ranked second in RBIs (57) and tied for third in doubles (18) and triples (five).

"I told myself that in my first at-bat, I was going to swing at the first good pitch I saw," said Johnson. "When I connected [on the home run], it felt great and it set the tone for the rest of the season."

After hitting just .184 with one homer in 32 games with the Rookie-level Gulf Coast Braves last season, Johnson immediately served notice that 2007 would be different. He collected nine multi-hit games and hit safely in 15 of his first 18 contests while driving in 18 runs to help the defending-champion Braves get off to another quick start.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cody turned just 19 this past August. The article is incorrect, he is ONLY 19 and just had a birthday during the season. At the beginning of the season, he was a mere 18!!

What upside!

Tommy Poe said...

Thanks for the catch. Just looked it up and yeah, his DOB is 8/18/88.