Thursday, October 4, 2007

A-Z Reviews: A

Time for to start the reviews of the 49 players who logged a game with the Braves this year. Some are already gone, some could be around for years.

Manny Acosta
-Manny was a bit of a surprise callup in mid August even after pacing the R-Braves in wins (nine) and saves (12). In 59.2 ING with Richmond, he walked 35, continuing a problem for him since he debuted in baseball in the Yankees organization in 2000. Nevertheless, Acosta got outs at the major league level. In 23.2 ING, he allowed just six earned runs (2.28 ERA) and struck out 22. Walks were again a problem (14), but he didn't give up many hits, leading to a solid WHIP of 1.14. He was a bit too lucky to get excited about and as long as the walks are high, his success is questionable. However, it was a solid 21 games for someone without a shred of major league experience.

2008 Outlook: He will turn 27 next May 1st so his prospect days are behind him. He will go as far as his control lets him. He seemed to get a lot of grounders and that is key whenever you walk batters because it means that you're missing low instead of leaving pitches high. Those seem to get hammered. Acosta is a long shot to continue to have success next year. He will probably make the roster, but not stick around.

Jose Ascanio
-Along with Joey D., Ascanio was on the shuttle between Mississippi and Atlanta for a good portion of the year. He made his major league debut on July 13th and over the next six days, appeared three times. Then, presumably after a demotion, he appeared in 2 games out of three in late July. Back to the minors, he got recalled in late August. At Mississippi, Ascanio was a force. In 44 games and pitching 78 innings, the 22 year-old struck out 71 and walked just 18. He saved ten and put up a solid 1.08 WHIP. He was finally getting the arm back that had him a hot prospect after 2004 before an injury in 2005 pretty much wiped out the next two seasons of being at his best. Unlike his teammate Acosta, Ascanio struggled some in the majors. He had a memorable loss on July 18th when the Braves failed to beat the Reds in 15 innings and got swept. He also got roughed up on a pair of occasions against the Mets and Marlins.

2008 Outlook: I feel as if Ascanio will be more productive than Acosta. With Devine, I feel Ascanio can be a long-term arm with a lot of success if he can stay healthy. Could start the year with Richmond next year because of a numbers crunch, but I expect him to log 50 or so innings with the big league club. Last year, I felt good about Moylan and that turned out well. Not saying Ascanio will have such a great year, but don't be surprised if he puts up a very solid 2008.

8 comments:

Lauren T. said...

(*pssssst*...that's a pic of Martin Prado you have beside Ascanio's review.) :)

Tommy Poe said...

Dammit Lauren.

Ascanio isn't photogenic and I was hoping to get something past the Braves fans. But nooooooo...

*stink eye*

My nieces taught me this and I can do it all day!

Lauren T. said...

It's hard to slip a cute Brave past my attention. ;) I'm like Alyssa Milano with the Dodgers...except not a whore. And none of the Braves have had more than 10-minute conversations with me. And I've never met a couple of my favorites.

Okay, I'm nothing like Alyssa Milano. That's good, right? :D

Tommy Poe said...

"Okay, I'm nothing like Alyssa Milano. That's good, right?"

I don't think you and I see her in the same way if you're going to ask that.

;)

Lauren T. said...

It's the "not a whore" part. Which for me, is good. Heh.

Tommy Poe said...

lol...well, I can't speak for her whoreitude...sadly enough.

Lauren T. said...

It's pretty well-documented. She says she's done dating baseball players, though...we'll see how long that lasts. ;)

Tommy Poe said...

You say whore as if it's that terrible of thing. She's just a woman who knows what she wants. Guys who sport at least three balls. I can like women with big boobs, she likes guys with three balls. How am I to judge?