Friday, October 5, 2007

A-Z Reviews: C

Buddy Carlyle
-I was a big supporter of My Buddy getting his first real shot after 21 games in three seasons spaced over six years accounting for all of his major league experience. He started well. From his Braves debut on May 26th to my birthday on August 7th, Buddy was 7-3 with an ERA of 4.28 and a solid WHIP of 1.22. But as usual, the wheels come off a good story that involves my birthday. In his final eight games, seven of them starts, Buddy posted a 7.47 ERA, would be assuming if his last name was Boing. Batters posted a 1.027 OPS against him. It was ugly. I cried.

2008 Outlook: Buddy is what I like to call...not good. I'm marketing that. In one sense, he got his shot and prevailed by just simply sticking around. But he is not good enough to last. With the Braves not forced to make a decision with him (he has sometime before arbitration), I expect to see him stick around and battle for a spot next year, but likely will be cut.

Steve Colyer
-Colyer was a late favorite of Bobby's last spring training and after being a last minute cut, got his chance in mid-April. In seven games, however, the southpaw was able to record just eleven outs. That's not good even of a LOOGY. He was designated for assignment in early May.

2008 Outlook: A minor league contract or another league is in his future. Colyer is only a semi-known name to people like me because he took off in my OOTP game one time. Became the Mets closer and I routinely blasted him.

Lance Cormier
-When Cormier came out of nowhere to have a great spring and suddenly get a lot of support in the franchise, I was quite concerned because I knew the real Cormier. The real one is a lot of sucktitude. Injuries kept him out until June 3rd and this is how bad his first game was. In his second game, in which he gave up five runs in 3.2 ING, Cormier lowered his ERA to 15.26. He was back out of the picture until the trade of Kyle Davies brought him back in August. After a relief appearence, he sucked again as a starter. However, a decent run followed. In his next four starts, he posted a 3.24 ERA and hitters batted just .234 against them, though they made five of them count in the form of homers. After reverting back to Real Cormier (not Rheal Cormier), Cormier made his last appearance on September 15th.

2008 Outlook: Cormier is arbitration eligible and he's the exact type of pitcher you should never pay more than the minimum for. However, I expect him to receive unearned raise and bug me next year like he did this year.

No comments: